October 26, 2012

Rebuke Me

We know it's not the greatest thing to do. In fact, it's sin, and we know all the reasons we shouldn't do it.

But we like it.

Fill in the blank with whatever "it" you like. When we love to do what we love to do we can rationalize it a million ways.

It's not that  bad. At least not compared to what I used  to do.
God understands.
I don't do it very often.
I just don't feel like being holy right now.
And, after all, God's mercy is wide. When I'm done I can come back to Him and He'll forgive me and it'll all be erased just like it never happened. So why not?

The subtle lies flourish like mold in a heart disconnected from the word of God.

But when the hungry soul leafs through thin gold-edged paper seeking peace, the words expose the raw and naked truth.

Beth, you know  that they which commit such things are worthy of death, but you not only do the same, you also have pleasure in those that do them.....

Ouch. He's right.

And His Word makes me hate my sin again.

Honest-hearted people have said in sincerity that we preach the love and tenderness of God too little. They are right. We could hardly come to a place where we preached it too much!

But while we proclaim more and more of His loving, compassion and ever-ready, free forgiveness towards sinners, may we not forget that His rebukes are  part of His love.

I need this side of Him. I need His sternness and His severity. I need the hopeful threat of judgment.

Because I don't want sin to separate me from Him, but I forget and need to see it through His eyes.

Rebuke me, O Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! His correction is part of His mercy - and such a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I feel like I'm commenting on blogs all the time, but this was just what I needed. I am impressed over and over with the solemnity of how I don't even realize what the extent of selfishness, the root of all sin, is. I have to agree... I need the Lord to rebuke me, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate.... Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Thanks for the reminder, Beth.

    ReplyDelete