February 7, 2013

Bigger Vision

The hand moving the quill across parchment labors with greater effort than usual. It isn't so easy to write with a heavy iron chain around the wrist.

The damp musty air in the cell serves as a reminder of just how long it has been since he has seen the light of day and filled his lungs with pure, sweet oxygen.

A mighty worker, he had often borne the strain of intense labor. Now he must suffer the greater strain of forced cessation from work he longed to do.

The churches he loved, his people, were left to the guidance of others. Some sheep-- others wolves.

But he isn't thinking of this.

He won't.

But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; 


I want you to know that everything Jesus does has a purpose. Even these shackles and the filthy dungeon have been the means of some soul finding peace and rest. Once again, Jesus has only allowed what infinite, loving Wisdom saw was best.

And I smile.

Thanks, Paul.
You're right.

How silly of us to complain!

Am I the only one that gets in the "Poor me" rut from time to time?

I've long since learned that my Lord has a purpose for the pains and sorrows of my life. Scars and wounds are stepping stones to wider service and sweeter joy.

But while I can easily thank God now for the deepest scars in my life, sometimes it's harder when it comes to the little things.

I get thinking if only I didn't have so much to do! Or if I could just get some decent sleep. Or if people would just be a little more understanding! If only what have you...

It's just foolish!

For goodness sakes I'm thankful I have a job! I'm glad I have kids to prepare classes for. I'm glad I have a warm, cushy bed to cozy up in. I'm glad I can wake up! Not everybody will this morning..

Paul in prison thanked God for his chains, and Betsie Ten Boom thanked Him for fleas..

The higher life sees pain as a possibility whether its a big pain OR a little one.

And is grateful either way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment