September 3, 2012

Rest

Pencils scratch softly across paper as students around me finish a quiz on the nature of man. My finger idles across my iPhone screen.

The 2 email notifications prove to be assignments due this week. More work.

A text message asks if I have my plans in order yet for canvassing this winter break... They need to know soon... Can I set up a program in Washington near GYC, and will I head lead it? And still more work..

The EGW app has a study in progress on the counsel to James White when he was overworking himself. Did you know he killed himself too early and hurt the cause of God by not managing his workload properly? I'm anxious to discover the principles of balance before I do the same...

My index finger swipes left, left and then right, right again. Classmates are still bent over their papers, writing furiously.

I can't shake the feeling that I'm demanding more from my body than it was meant to do. I'm trying to do too much..push too fast..drive too relentlessly. I'm wired to be independent and hard-working. From babyhood I threw tantrums when I wasn't allowed to "do it myself." I hate to rest, and I struggle to delegate. Oh, I get weary, and long for a break, but only a very temporary one. I have a philosophy that I can rest in heaven and I push on, many, many days on only 3-5 hours of sleep a night.

This can't be right.. There must be balance to this philosophy of mine. My work itself suffers miserably when my energy is lacking...

The finger taps another app.. Streams in the Desert
I hadn't read it yet today..

September 3
"And he saw them toiling in rowing." (Mark 6:48)

Straining, driving effort does not accomplish the work God gives man to do. Only God Himself, who always works without strain, and who never overworks, can do the work that He assigns to His children. When they restfully trust to do it, it will be well done and completely done. The way to let Him do His work through us is to partake of Christ so fully, by faith, that He more than fills our life.

A man who had learned this secret once said: "I came to Jesus and I drank, and I do not think that I shall ever be thirsty again. I have taken for my motto, ‘Not overwork, but overflow’; and already it has made all the difference in my life."

There is no effort in overflow. It is quietly irresistible. It is the normal life of omnipotent and ceaseless accomplishment into which Christ invites us today and always. 
--- Sunday School Times.
 Oh.

That's right. :-)

Why should I toil fruitlessly in rowing while the Master of the sea is on board the ship?

Beautiful truth is this: The Master doesn't need to lighten my workload to give me rest. He just needs me to quit fighting the storm on my own.

Much work can be accomplished-- indeed much more can be accomplished when the human vessel ceases to strain and struggle in her own efforts.

Be all at rest, my soul. "In resurrection stillness there is resurrection power."


3 comments:

  1. I love that devotional thought...absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing. :) (Mind if I repost that quote? Streams in the Desert...it's not EGW, right? Whose is it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have standing rights to repost at any time you wish. ;)
      Streams in the Desert is an old devotional book my Roomie introduced me too. It isn't Adventist but it pulls together written works from many great preachers/writers from the pre-Adventism era of Christianity (think Rev. 2,3 Philadelphia church time period.)

      Delete