November 1, 2011

Spiritual Navel-Gazing


“The continual grubbing on the inside to see whether we are what we ought to be generates a self-centered, morbid type of Christianity, not the robust, simple life of the child of God….The plaintive, self-centered, morbid kind of prayer is never found in the New Testament. The fact that I am trying to make myself right with God is a sign that I am rebelling against the Atonement. I cannot make myself right with God, I cannot make my life perfect; I can only be right with God if I accept the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ as an absolute gift. Am I humble enough to accept it?” –Oswald Chambers

And there we sit– gazing at our little belly-buttons and picking out the lint, piece after piece. No matter how much we pick there’s still those stubborn little buggers we can’t get, hanging on down in the crevices.

But oh, the glorious truth just waiting for us to lift our eyes and see it! An atonement has been made!!! There’s water to cleanse out those belly-buttons and purify the deepest crevice. How foolish it would be to miss the offer!

Atonement isn’t something that Jesus is beginning to do, or will do in the future. He has done it. It is finished, and we insult Him when we come begging and begging for Him to do what He has already done. Just accept the offer and move on into the “robust, simple life of the child of God.”

Arrggghhhh!! Words are so limiting!!! I wish I could tell you what this simple truth has meant to me this week in a way that you could see it, feel it and touch it. But I can’t.

It is enough to say that Jesus is very, very sweet.

Behold Him.

It’s by beholding that we’re changed. Beholding our navels will only transform us into the likeness of… well…. our navels!

“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life….Now unto Him who is able to keep you from falling...” Jude 20, 21, 24

1 comment: