November 8, 2011

The Boy

I went to the park yesterday.

Not to swing on the swings or shoot baskets at the net. I was just looking for a place to do my homework where the air was fresh and I wouldn't get shot. (The woods are off-limits around here these days! Hunting isn't just a hobby here, it's one of those things where if you don't do it you're not a man or something like that and it's very serious stuff. They close school for hunting vacation and everything. I am not even kidding.)

So I went to the park, found me a picnic table and went into my homework zone. That I've-gotta-get-this-done zone where people don't exist and my nose stays in the book until the assignment is completed or the nose must come up for air-- whichever comes first.

Nearly oblivious to my surroundings, I could have jumped out of my skin when a "This is what tRoUbLe looks like" T-shirt whizzed up on a pair of roller blades and a voice said, "Hey!"

"Hey there! how's it going?"

"Good. What are you doing here?"

"Just a little homework. What's your name?"

"Rob. I live in that yellow house over there. Who are you?"

"I'm Beth, I live over across town. You come here a lot?"

"Oh yeah, every day. I have a bike, and a scooter."

"Yeah? I bet you're pretty good at riding them, huh?"

"Oh yeah," his chest swelled a little and the top of the arrow on his T-shirt appeared, clearly indicating that he was the one 'tRoUbLe' referred to. "I'm really good at wheelies and stuff."

We chatted on about a boy's life and accomplishments, and pretty soon he whizzed off just as he'd come leaving me with a warm heart and a smiling face.

Thanks, Rob my man, for showing me what uninhibited friendliness looks like. 
I want what you've got, buddy. 

4 comments: