September 17, 2011

Just do it

There is no chance of the race being won until the runner begins to run.

Seems so often we mortals are prone to look at the length of the race, or the mountain of work, or the impossibility of the task, and get 'plum discouraged' as my late great-grandmother would say.

Especially when it comes to spiritual things.

Perfection seems possible until you've made a try for it half a dozen or a hundred times.

But every runner knows that thinking of the distance yet to go may well cost them the race. They know that the only thing that really counts is the step that they are taking at that moment. Every step forward puts them one step farther from where they started, and one step closer to the goal.
Maybe I'm not up to doing the whole race, but I'm up to this step... I can do one more step... one more step... one more step...one more step... I won't stop to rest until I get to the top of the hill... oh, now that I'm at the top it's easy to make it down, I won't stop until I get to the flat... I don't have to stop yet... I can do one more step... just one more step.... what? I'm this close to the end already? oh I can't stop now...just a few more steps...

And, after all, from God's perspective we have no reason to be discouraged over failures. When multiple failures have convinced us of the weakness of our own humanity, we have then gained the fitness to run in the strength of His divinity.

Take the step in front of you. Just do it.

Inspiration calls it "Following the light you have" and that if we know things we ought to do, we'll be happy if we do them. (MB 150, John 13:17)

Go ahead, take that step. Run right down to the bank of the Jordan and keep on going when you hit the water........and watch the angry floodwaters roll away.
And then you'll see..
There was dry land there all the time.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for allowing God to speak through you. This is exactly what I needed today. Choosing to follow....
    Kezzia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God. :-) I love how iron sharpens iron. Your posts have been the direct words of God to me more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one day at a time.

    preach!

    I'm the kind of runner that always thinks about how far she has to go, that's why a lot of times its hard for me to keep up a pace. I run faster and faster and in my mind tire myself out before im physically tired.

    haha reality check. not just in running but in life.

    One day at a time. One day at a time....

    ReplyDelete