September 13, 2011

Funeral

I attended a funeral yesterday. There were no tears.

No other humans attended-- just me, the Lord, and a thousand angels.

We slammed the coffin shut and danced. We laughed like people who have seen a soul set free.

It was beautiful.

See, I was reminded of this quotation:


"If any have dark chapters in their experience let them bury them. 
Let this history not be kept bright by repetition." 
HP 36

I had forgotten that... Forgive me. Please forgive me for airing that darkness here on my blog. 
That darkness was an old-man thing. It got buried. It can no longer define who I am or who I will become. By the merits of Christ I stand forgiven and free in white garments and my God has promised that in Christ I am a new creature, old things have passed away, behold all things are become new.

I like new. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a strange and happy funeral that must've been. At first when I began reading it I was horrified at slamming the coffin shut and dancing. But as I kept reading, I couldn't help but smile. What an awesome God - to make all the things new. And praise God He's done that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, yeah... I told a couple friends at school and got some really funny reactions at first, but when they figured out what I was talking about we all rejoiced together. ;-) I wasn't going for the reactions, just couldn't think of a better way to describe it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... Let this history not be kept bright by repetition..."

    Not in memory's hall, a trophy
    Casting shadows o'er the way,
    Nor be exhumed posthumously
    And expressed again today.

    Behold, all things are become new—2 cor. 5:17.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful, Ben! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..When i first read this, i was aghast...i had to go back and read the first part again to make sure i had read it right... it wasnt until i read down and say the bible verse that i understood what was going on.

    Things aren't always what they seem ay?

    . . .death to self, death to sin.

    it was a beautiful way to portray that.
    i enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete