May 2, 2011

Success


"I would try harder to get good grades," he said, "But no matter how hard I try, there's always somebody better than me. So there's no point."

I managed an understanding reply but I couldn't help feeling an almost bemused sympathy for him. (Bless his heart…it's not his fault that he's the unfortunate (in my opinion) victim of being pushed through education faster than he could mature.) But his words were so revealing of his view of success. To him, there was no concept that his future success in the workplace and value to any future employer will be based on how well he applies himself to his education today; no desire even to get a good scholarship; forget the intrinsic motivation of actually wanting to learn and know. Success to him was being the top of his little senior class and that was the only thing that could motivate him.

He could rise no higher than his vision of success.

Neither can I.

Do my dreams of success seem so foolish as this in heaven's eyes? Do I reach for a level of success that limits me from seeing Jesus' vision of success for me?



When the redeemed stand in the presence of God, they will see how shortsighted were their conclusions as to what heaven records as success. As they review their efforts to achieve success they will see how foolish were their plans, how petty their supposed trials, how unreasonable their doubts. They will see how often they brought failure to their work by not taking God at His word. And one truth will stand out in clear lines: that position does not prepare a man for entrance into the heavenly courts. They will see, too, that the honor given to man is due to God alone, that to Him belongs all the glory. From the lips of the angelic choir and the redeemed host will peal forth the chorus: "Great and marvelous are Thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints. Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy." Revelation 15:3, 4. 
{7T 28.1}

0 comments:

Post a Comment