February 24, 2011

Pain

So here I am, slowly beginning to mop up the mess of homework assignments that got spilled during the past month's blur of canvassing, sickness, missed classes, and cooking for two school events. I have one-double-hundred things on my to-do list that are more important than blogging, but I've got to share this.

Deep in chapter 26 of Sarah Peck's The Path to the Throne of God this little gem gleamed:


“All heaven suffered in Christ’s agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. ‘The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God.’ Ed. 263” Page 231

So wait......

Here I had always pictured in my mind the Eternal God almost dreading the pain that He would go through while Jesus was on the cross, you know? Something like how a mother dreads labor for 9 months and then just grits her teeth and goes through with the delivery knowing that it's going to be over in a few hours. Somehow I imagined God breathing a sigh of relief when it was all over Resurrection Sunday. 

But there was no gritting the teeth and ow-ow-owwing through this pain. In God's heart this pain has been a constant reality for the last 6000 years. No relief. No merciful numbing. Just raw intensity. Day after day, after day ever since Lucifer's first prideful thought there in heaven's throneroom.

Any human would have succumbed. We can't take stuff like that. We can't imagine stuff like that.

But this is the love of God. And this is the kind of love that willingly prolongs His own pain so that He can give you and I a few more days to repent. So He can buy me a few more moments to choose Him. Hoping, longing, for me to turn from the 2-second happiness that sin gives me and throw myself into His mercy.

That. Blows. My. Mind.

So that's what long-suffering means...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Beth, for stealing a moment from homework...
    And thank You, Beautiful Savior...

    ReplyDelete