February 6, 2010

Appearances

Things are not always what they appear to be.

I thought I had already learned this lesson the time I tried to get dressed in the dark, but apparently I needed some reinforcement.

This afternoon I enjoyed a lovely meal at Rob and Christine Neall’s home. Now, I must confess that I’m just introverted enough that making small talk with people I don’t know well is not one of my best skills. I much prefer to either quietly listen or busy myself in the background. So when the opportunity presented itself, I rose to help clear off the table. Plates went to the sink, food was carefully saran-wrapped and put in the fridge, and counters were wiped down. Sitting on the counter was a Tupperware container with a dab of sour cream in the bottom of it. Thinking to be helpful, I emptied the serving dish of sour cream into the container and didn’t think another thing of it. That is, I didn’t think another thing of it until I out of the corner of my eye I noticed Mrs. Neall surreptitiously pick up the Tupperware and sniff the contents. Her face screwed into a quirky little smile and without a word, she set the container back down and replaced the lid. And then it hit me. Ohhhh shoot, that wasn’t sour cream in that container, it was the whipped topping for the pie.

My face got hot and I knew I was blushing that wonderful bright-red blush I inherited with my Budd-family genes. Oh well, at that point all I could do was apologize, giggle a few hopeless giggles, and hope that Mrs. Neall would be able to find a creative way to use sour cream con whipped topping.

Things are not always what they appear to be, whether sour cream, relationships, “harmless” entertainment, or even Godly preachers I may look up to. I can’t afford to trust my eyes, my feelings, or my preferences. Everything must be measured against the sure foundation of the Word of God.

The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. Psalm 119:130

0 comments:

Post a Comment